Curried Vegetables with Eggs
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Get some vegetable servings in at breakfast—baking eggs on top of curried vegetables is simple and delicious. Make it a meal: Serve with grilled country bread and sliced fresh fruit.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 10 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (3 cups sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow summer squash, or zucchini, diced
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 small or medium eggs
- 4 slices French or Italian bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, green peppers and squash or zucchini; sauté until the mushrooms are limp and exude their liquid. Add tomatoes and mash with a wooden spoon. Stir in crushed red pepper, if using, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over the bottom of a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Make 4 wells in the vegetable mixture and break an egg into each one. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Bake until the eggs are set, 12 to 15 minutes. Gently transfer eggs to plates with a large spoon and surround with the vegetable mixture. Serve with toasted bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before continuing.
Per serving: 333 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 6 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 809 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (79% daily value), Folate (48% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Iron (29% dv), Magnesium (15% dv), Selenium (52% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetables, 1/2 medium-fat meat substitute, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1993