Curried Vegetables with Eggs
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Get some vegetable servings in at breakfast—baking eggs on top of curried vegetables is simple and delicious. Make it a meal: Serve with grilled country bread and sliced fresh fruit.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 10 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (3 cups sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow summer squash, or zucchini, diced
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 small or medium eggs
- 4 slices French or Italian bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, green peppers and squash or zucchini; sauté until the mushrooms are limp and exude their liquid. Add tomatoes and mash with a wooden spoon. Stir in crushed red pepper, if using, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over the bottom of a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Make 4 wells in the vegetable mixture and break an egg into each one. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Bake until the eggs are set, 12 to 15 minutes. Gently transfer eggs to plates with a large spoon and surround with the vegetable mixture. Serve with toasted bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before continuing.
Per serving: 333 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 6 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 809 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (79% daily value), Folate (48% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Iron (29% dv), Magnesium (15% dv), Selenium (52% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetables, 1/2 medium-fat meat substitute, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1993