Curried Vegetables with Eggs
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Get some vegetable servings in at breakfast—baking eggs on top of curried vegetables is simple and delicious. Make it a meal: Serve with grilled country bread and sliced fresh fruit.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 10 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (3 cups sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow summer squash, or zucchini, diced
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 small or medium eggs
- 4 slices French or Italian bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, green peppers and squash or zucchini; sauté until the mushrooms are limp and exude their liquid. Add tomatoes and mash with a wooden spoon. Stir in crushed red pepper, if using, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over the bottom of a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Make 4 wells in the vegetable mixture and break an egg into each one. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Bake until the eggs are set, 12 to 15 minutes. Gently transfer eggs to plates with a large spoon and surround with the vegetable mixture. Serve with toasted bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before continuing.
Per serving: 333 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 6 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 809 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (79% daily value), Folate (48% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Iron (29% dv), Magnesium (15% dv), Selenium (52% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetables, 1/2 medium-fat meat substitute, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1993