Curried Sweet Potatoes
Dried apricots, raisins and curry powder make unusual but delectable partners for sweet potatoes in this old-style Southern recipe. Try it with roasted pork tenderloin, turkey or chicken.
- 4 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, (8 or 9 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup dried apricots, (3 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch slivers
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until tender but not mushy, 8 to 12 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, combine apricots, raisins and boiling water in a small bowl; let sit until plumped, about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large wide pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked sweet potatoes, apricots, raisins and the fruit-soaking liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Stir gently over medium-low heat until warmed through.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Per serving: 287 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 8 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 769 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (840% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (34% dv), Fiber (31% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique