Curried Sweet Potatoes
Dried apricots, raisins and curry powder make unusual but delectable partners for sweet potatoes in this old-style Southern recipe. Try it with roasted pork tenderloin, turkey or chicken.
- 4 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, (8 or 9 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup dried apricots, (3 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch slivers
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until tender but not mushy, 8 to 12 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, combine apricots, raisins and boiling water in a small bowl; let sit until plumped, about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large wide pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked sweet potatoes, apricots, raisins and the fruit-soaking liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Stir gently over medium-low heat until warmed through.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Per serving: 287 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 8 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 769 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (840% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (34% dv), Fiber (31% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique