Curried Squash & Chicken Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Red Thai curry paste adds heat and depth of flavor to this simple soup. If you like, omit the chicken and spinach to make an even simpler first-course soup.
- 1 10-ounce package frozen pureed winter squash
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk, (see Tips for Two)
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste, (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat squash, coconut milk and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash defrosts, about 10 minutes. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in spinach, lime juice, sugar, curry paste to taste and salt and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Refrigerate coconut milk for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Drizzle on sliced fresh fruit; use as some of the liquid for cooking rice.
- Note: Red curry paste is a blend of chile peppers, garlic, lemongrass and galangal (a root with a flavor similar to ginger). Look for it in jars or cans in the Asian section of the supermarket or specialty stores.
Per serving: 274 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 453 mg sodium; 1288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (310% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (49% dv), Potassium (37% dv).
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell Serves Two