Curried Squash & Chicken Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Red Thai curry paste adds heat and depth of flavor to this simple soup. If you like, omit the chicken and spinach to make an even simpler first-course soup.
- 1 10-ounce package frozen pureed winter squash
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk, (see Tips for Two)
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste, (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat squash, coconut milk and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash defrosts, about 10 minutes. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in spinach, lime juice, sugar, curry paste to taste and salt and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Refrigerate coconut milk for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Drizzle on sliced fresh fruit; use as some of the liquid for cooking rice.
- Note: Red curry paste is a blend of chile peppers, garlic, lemongrass and galangal (a root with a flavor similar to ginger). Look for it in jars or cans in the Asian section of the supermarket or specialty stores.
Per serving: 274 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 453 mg sodium; 1288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (310% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (49% dv), Potassium (37% dv).
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell Serves Two