Curried Salad with Egg & Cashews
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Here we toss fresh salad greens with a light and creamy dressing, then top with chopped hard-boiled egg, crunchy bell pepper, dried cranberries and toasted cashews for a satisfying vegetarian salad. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup diced or sliced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 hard-boiled egg (see Tips), chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted cashews (see Tips)
- Place yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, water, honey, curry powder, salt and pepper in a bowl or a blender; whisk or blend until smooth.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with bell pepper, cranberries, egg and cashews.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 5 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- To toast cashews: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 368 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 216 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 20 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 899 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (208% daily value), Vitamin A (142% dv), Folate (66% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (26% dv), Iron (25% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 medium fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2011