Curried Salad with Egg & Cashews
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Here we toss fresh salad greens with a light and creamy dressing, then top with chopped hard-boiled egg, crunchy bell pepper, dried cranberries and toasted cashews for a satisfying vegetarian salad. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup diced or sliced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 hard-boiled egg (see Tips), chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted cashews (see Tips)
- Place yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, water, honey, curry powder, salt and pepper in a bowl or a blender; whisk or blend until smooth.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with bell pepper, cranberries, egg and cashews.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 5 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- To toast cashews: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 368 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 216 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 20 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 899 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (208% daily value), Vitamin A (142% dv), Folate (66% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (26% dv), Iron (25% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 medium fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2011