Curried Salad with Egg & Cashews
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Here we toss fresh salad greens with a light and creamy dressing, then top with chopped hard-boiled egg, crunchy bell pepper, dried cranberries and toasted cashews for a satisfying vegetarian salad. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup diced or sliced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 hard-boiled egg (see Tips), chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted cashews (see Tips)
- Place yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, water, honey, curry powder, salt and pepper in a bowl or a blender; whisk or blend until smooth.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with bell pepper, cranberries, egg and cashews.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 5 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- To toast cashews: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 368 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 216 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 20 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 899 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (208% daily value), Vitamin A (142% dv), Folate (66% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (26% dv), Iron (25% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 medium fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2011