Curried Red Lentil Soup
This soup is inspired by the Indian side dish dal; the Hindi word means “split” and refers to the split peas or lentils used in its preparation. Fragrant ginger, curry, cinnamon and cumin add lots of rich flavor.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion,chopped
- 3 cloves garlic,minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over (see Note)
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, jalapeno, curry powder, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Stir in cilantro (or parsley), lemon juice and chutney. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with yogurt.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Red lentils are a useful addition to your pantry because they cook in just 10 to 15 minutes. They are excellent in soups, salads and vegetarian stews. You can find them in the natural-foods section of your supermarket or through online sources.
Per serving: 233 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 13 g fiber; 756 mg sodium; 910 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (68% daily value), Iron (32% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Magnesium (16% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique