Curried Red Lentil Soup
This soup is inspired by the Indian side dish dal; the Hindi word means “split” and refers to the split peas or lentils used in its preparation. Fragrant ginger, curry, cinnamon and cumin add lots of rich flavor.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion,chopped
- 3 cloves garlic,minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over (see Note)
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, jalapeno, curry powder, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Stir in cilantro (or parsley), lemon juice and chutney. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with yogurt.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Red lentils are a useful addition to your pantry because they cook in just 10 to 15 minutes. They are excellent in soups, salads and vegetarian stews. You can find them in the natural-foods section of your supermarket or through online sources.
Per serving: 233 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 13 g fiber; 756 mg sodium; 910 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (68% daily value), Iron (32% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Magnesium (16% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique