Curried Pear Chicken
Coconut milk, cilantro and mint give this dish a fresh, exotic flavor. We prefer using a Bartlett pear but any type will do. Serve with brown basmati rice and Sauteed Watercress.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil, divided
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Season chicken on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add pears, shallots and curry powder. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Stir coconut milk, cilantro and mint into the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon over chicken.
Per serving: 274 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 387 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation