Curried Pear Chicken
Coconut milk, cilantro and mint give this dish a fresh, exotic flavor. We prefer using a Bartlett pear but any type will do. Serve with brown basmati rice and Sauteed Watercress.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil, divided
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Season chicken on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add pears, shallots and curry powder. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Stir coconut milk, cilantro and mint into the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon over chicken.
Per serving: 274 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 387 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry