Curried Pear Chicken
Coconut milk, cilantro and mint give this dish a fresh, exotic flavor. We prefer using a Bartlett pear but any type will do. Serve with brown basmati rice and Sauteed Watercress.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil, divided
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Season chicken on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add pears, shallots and curry powder. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Stir coconut milk, cilantro and mint into the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon over chicken.
Per serving: 274 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 387 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation