From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Curried vegetables are a spicy counterpoint to hard-cooked eggs. Serve with sliced fresh fruit and whole-grain toast for a tasty brunch or easy supper.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut in wedges (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and green peppers and cook, stirring, until onions begin to color, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeños and ginger; stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour, curry powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth and cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove pan from the heat and whisk in yogurt, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the parsley and lemon juice. Gently stir eggs into the sauce. Cover the pan to let the eggs warm through for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 158 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 214 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 228 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Selenium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994