From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Curried vegetables are a spicy counterpoint to hard-cooked eggs. Serve with sliced fresh fruit and whole-grain toast for a tasty brunch or easy supper.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut in wedges (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and green peppers and cook, stirring, until onions begin to color, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeños and ginger; stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour, curry powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth and cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove pan from the heat and whisk in yogurt, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the parsley and lemon juice. Gently stir eggs into the sauce. Cover the pan to let the eggs warm through for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 158 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 214 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 228 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Selenium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1994