From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Curried vegetables are a spicy counterpoint to hard-cooked eggs. Serve with sliced fresh fruit and whole-grain toast for a tasty brunch or easy supper.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut in wedges (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and green peppers and cook, stirring, until onions begin to color, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeños and ginger; stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour, curry powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth and cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove pan from the heat and whisk in yogurt, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the parsley and lemon juice. Gently stir eggs into the sauce. Cover the pan to let the eggs warm through for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 158 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 214 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 228 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Selenium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994