From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Curried vegetables are a spicy counterpoint to hard-cooked eggs. Serve with sliced fresh fruit and whole-grain toast for a tasty brunch or easy supper.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut in wedges (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and green peppers and cook, stirring, until onions begin to color, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeños and ginger; stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour, curry powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth and cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove pan from the heat and whisk in yogurt, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the parsley and lemon juice. Gently stir eggs into the sauce. Cover the pan to let the eggs warm through for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 158 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 214 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 228 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Selenium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994