Curried Corn Bisque
Frozen vegetables are perfect for making soups and we particularly like the fresh flavor of frozen corn. This thick, satisfying soup gets a spicy kick from curry powder and hot sauce, but it's still on the mild side - add more hot sauce to turn the heat up as much as you like. Serve with a squeeze of lime or a dollop of plain yogurt and chopped scallions.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 16-ounce packages frozen corn, or 3 10-ounce boxes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk, (see Ingredient note)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add curry powder, hot sauce, salt and pepper and stir to coat the onions. Stir in corn, broth and water; increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from the heat and puree in a blender or food processor (in batches, if necessary) into a homogeneous mixture that still has some texture. Pour the soup into a clean pot, add coconut milk and heat through. Serve hot or cold.VariationMake Curried Sweet Pea Bisque by substituting frozen peas for the corn.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Ingredient Note: Look for reduced-fat coconut milk (labeled "lite") in the Asian section of your market.
Per serving: 138 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 121 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (13% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique