Curried Corn Bisque
Frozen vegetables are perfect for making soups and we particularly like the fresh flavor of frozen corn. This thick, satisfying soup gets a spicy kick from curry powder and hot sauce, but it's still on the mild side - add more hot sauce to turn the heat up as much as you like. Serve with a squeeze of lime or a dollop of plain yogurt and chopped scallions.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 16-ounce packages frozen corn, or 3 10-ounce boxes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk, (see Ingredient note)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add curry powder, hot sauce, salt and pepper and stir to coat the onions. Stir in corn, broth and water; increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from the heat and puree in a blender or food processor (in batches, if necessary) into a homogeneous mixture that still has some texture. Pour the soup into a clean pot, add coconut milk and heat through. Serve hot or cold.VariationMake Curried Sweet Pea Bisque by substituting frozen peas for the corn.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Ingredient Note: Look for reduced-fat coconut milk (labeled "lite") in the Asian section of your market.
Per serving: 138 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 121 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (13% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique