Curried Corn Bisque
Frozen vegetables are perfect for making soups and we particularly like the fresh flavor of frozen corn. This thick, satisfying soup gets a spicy kick from curry powder and hot sauce, but it's still on the mild side - add more hot sauce to turn the heat up as much as you like. Serve with a squeeze of lime or a dollop of plain yogurt and chopped scallions.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 16-ounce packages frozen corn, or 3 10-ounce boxes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk, (see Ingredient note)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add curry powder, hot sauce, salt and pepper and stir to coat the onions. Stir in corn, broth and water; increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from the heat and puree in a blender or food processor (in batches, if necessary) into a homogeneous mixture that still has some texture. Pour the soup into a clean pot, add coconut milk and heat through. Serve hot or cold.VariationMake Curried Sweet Pea Bisque by substituting frozen peas for the corn.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Ingredient Note: Look for reduced-fat coconut milk (labeled "lite") in the Asian section of your market.
Per serving: 138 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 121 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (13% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique