Curried Chicken with Sweet Potatoes & Cauliflower
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, with a little help from the well-seasoned yogurt marinade, remain moist and tender when oven-roasted. Hint: Soaking the prepared vegetables in ice water for 15 minutes before roasting will hydrate them, making them more moist and tender when cooked.
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Madras-style curry powder, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed (see Tip)
- 1 sweet potato, (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, (1 small head) or broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, or cashews
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- Combine yogurt, curry powder, coriander, ginger, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cayenne in a shallow glass dish; mix to blend. Reserve 1/4 cup of this mixture; cover and refrigerate. Add chicken to the remaining yogurt mixture and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the prepared baking sheet. Toss sweet potato with the reserved yogurt mixture in a medium bowl and place on the baking sheet. Toss cauliflower with oil in a medium bowl and add to the baking sheet. Season vegetables with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Roast chicken and vegetables, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Carefully turn the chicken over and stir the vegetables. Roast until the vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Arrange chicken and vegetables on a platter or individual plates and garnish with peanuts (or cashews) and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Tip: Madras-style curry powder is hotter than standard curry powder. You can find it in specialty stores.
- Tip: You can purchase chicken thighs that have already been boned and skinned in most supermarkets. They can be quite fatty, so trim carefully. If you cannot find boneless, skinless chicken thighs, substitute bone-in thighs and pull off the skin. In Step 3, roast chicken for 10 minutes before adding the vegetables.
- Easy cleanup: Recipes that require cooking spray can leave behind a sticky residue that can be hard to clean. To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you apply the cooking spray.
Per serving: 473 calories; 26 g fat (6 g sat, 11 g mono); 154 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 52 g protein; 7 g fiber; 655 mg sodium; 1183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (30% daily value), Vitamin A (440% dv), Vitamin C (110% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (2% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 6 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual