Curried Chicken with Sweet Potatoes & Cauliflower
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, with a little help from the well-seasoned yogurt marinade, remain moist and tender when oven-roasted. Hint: Soaking the prepared vegetables in ice water for 15 minutes before roasting will hydrate them, making them more moist and tender when cooked.
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Madras-style curry powder, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed (see Tip)
- 1 sweet potato, (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, (1 small head) or broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, or cashews
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- Combine yogurt, curry powder, coriander, ginger, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cayenne in a shallow glass dish; mix to blend. Reserve 1/4 cup of this mixture; cover and refrigerate. Add chicken to the remaining yogurt mixture and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the prepared baking sheet. Toss sweet potato with the reserved yogurt mixture in a medium bowl and place on the baking sheet. Toss cauliflower with oil in a medium bowl and add to the baking sheet. Season vegetables with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Roast chicken and vegetables, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Carefully turn the chicken over and stir the vegetables. Roast until the vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Arrange chicken and vegetables on a platter or individual plates and garnish with peanuts (or cashews) and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Tip: Madras-style curry powder is hotter than standard curry powder. You can find it in specialty stores.
- Tip: You can purchase chicken thighs that have already been boned and skinned in most supermarkets. They can be quite fatty, so trim carefully. If you cannot find boneless, skinless chicken thighs, substitute bone-in thighs and pull off the skin. In Step 3, roast chicken for 10 minutes before adding the vegetables.
- Easy cleanup: Recipes that require cooking spray can leave behind a sticky residue that can be hard to clean. To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you apply the cooking spray.
Per serving: 473 calories; 26 g fat (6 g sat, 11 g mono); 154 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 52 g protein; 7 g fiber; 655 mg sodium; 1183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (30% daily value), Vitamin A (440% dv), Vitamin C (110% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (2% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 6 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient