Curried Chicken with Mango Salad
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
If you don't want to heat up your kitchen you can cook the chicken on the grill instead; grill on high heat, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Make it a meal: Serve with a fragrant brown basmati rice.
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (see Note) or curry powder, mild or hot
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, (1 3/4-2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk yogurt, chutney and garam masala (or curry powder) in a medium bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Remove the chicken from the sauce and transfer to the prepared broiler pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Broil the chicken until the coating is charred in spots, 12 to 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue cooking until it is slightly charred and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine mango, onion, mint, vinegar, brown sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Serve the chicken with the mango salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Garam masala is a fragrant blend of ground spices commonly used in Indian cooking. It's in the spice section of most supermarkets and specialty stores.
Per serving: 289 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 308 mg sodium; 403 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (46% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- August/September 2006