Curried Chicken with Mango Salad
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
If you don't want to heat up your kitchen you can cook the chicken on the grill instead; grill on high heat, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Make it a meal: Serve with a fragrant brown basmati rice.
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (see Note) or curry powder, mild or hot
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, (1 3/4-2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk yogurt, chutney and garam masala (or curry powder) in a medium bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Remove the chicken from the sauce and transfer to the prepared broiler pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Broil the chicken until the coating is charred in spots, 12 to 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue cooking until it is slightly charred and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine mango, onion, mint, vinegar, brown sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Serve the chicken with the mango salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Garam masala is a fragrant blend of ground spices commonly used in Indian cooking. It's in the spice section of most supermarkets and specialty stores.
Per serving: 289 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 308 mg sodium; 403 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (46% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- August/September 2006