Curried Chicken with Mango Salad
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
If you don't want to heat up your kitchen you can cook the chicken on the grill instead; grill on high heat, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Make it a meal: Serve with a fragrant brown basmati rice.
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (see Note) or curry powder, mild or hot
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, (1 3/4-2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk yogurt, chutney and garam masala (or curry powder) in a medium bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Remove the chicken from the sauce and transfer to the prepared broiler pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Broil the chicken until the coating is charred in spots, 12 to 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue cooking until it is slightly charred and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine mango, onion, mint, vinegar, brown sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Serve the chicken with the mango salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Garam masala is a fragrant blend of ground spices commonly used in Indian cooking. It's in the spice section of most supermarkets and specialty stores.
Per serving: 289 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 308 mg sodium; 403 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (46% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- August/September 2006