Curried Chicken with Mango Salad
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
If you don't want to heat up your kitchen you can cook the chicken on the grill instead; grill on high heat, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Make it a meal: Serve with a fragrant brown basmati rice.
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (see Note) or curry powder, mild or hot
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, (1 3/4-2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk yogurt, chutney and garam masala (or curry powder) in a medium bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Remove the chicken from the sauce and transfer to the prepared broiler pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Broil the chicken until the coating is charred in spots, 12 to 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue cooking until it is slightly charred and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine mango, onion, mint, vinegar, brown sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Serve the chicken with the mango salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Garam masala is a fragrant blend of ground spices commonly used in Indian cooking. It's in the spice section of most supermarkets and specialty stores.
Per serving: 289 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 308 mg sodium; 403 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (46% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- August/September 2006