Curried Chicken Salad
Chilling the poached chicken breasts in the cooking liquid ensures moist, succulent results in this curried chicken salad. Stuff into whole-wheat pita pockets with shredded lettuce.
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup currants, or raisins
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large shallow pan. Add chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, until the chicken is no longer pink inside, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a shallow dish and pour the cooking liquid over the top. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or overnight. Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid and dice.
- Stir mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney and curry powder in a medium bowl until well blended. Add the diced chicken, apple and currants (or raisins) and toss until thoroughly coated.
Per serving: 279 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)