Curried Chicken Salad
Chilling the poached chicken breasts in the cooking liquid ensures moist, succulent results in this curried chicken salad. Stuff into whole-wheat pita pockets with shredded lettuce.
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup currants, or raisins
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large shallow pan. Add chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, until the chicken is no longer pink inside, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a shallow dish and pour the cooking liquid over the top. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or overnight. Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid and dice.
- Stir mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney and curry powder in a medium bowl until well blended. Add the diced chicken, apple and currants (or raisins) and toss until thoroughly coated.
Per serving: 279 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique