Curried Chicken Salad
Chilling the poached chicken breasts in the cooking liquid ensures moist, succulent results in this curried chicken salad. Stuff into whole-wheat pita pockets with shredded lettuce.
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup currants, or raisins
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large shallow pan. Add chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, until the chicken is no longer pink inside, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a shallow dish and pour the cooking liquid over the top. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or overnight. Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid and dice.
- Stir mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney and curry powder in a medium bowl until well blended. Add the diced chicken, apple and currants (or raisins) and toss until thoroughly coated.
Per serving: 279 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation