Curried Chicken Pitas
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Cranberries and pear are sweet counterpoints in this tangy curried chicken salad. Toasted sliced almonds add a nutty crunch.
- 6 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken breast (see Tip)
- 1 ripe but firm pear, diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 4 4- to 5-inch whole-wheat pita breads, cut in half
- 2 cups sprouts
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise and curry powder in a large bowl. Add chicken, pear, celery, cranberries and almonds; toss to combine.
- Fill each pita half with 1/2 cup chicken salad and 1/4 cup sprouts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salad (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- Tip: If you don’t have cooked chicken, poach about 12 ounces chicken breast for this recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breast in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes.
- To toast sliced or slivered almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 323 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 58 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 6 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2009