Curried Chicken & Pasta Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
This crowd-pleasing pasta salad is potluck-perfect for barbecue season.
- 12 ounces large whole-wheat pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, (1/2 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt, or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- Toast almonds in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Return the pan to the stovetop and add curry powder. Toast, stirring constantly, over low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney, turmeric, cinnamon and ground red pepper.
- Combine chicken, raisins, scallions, celery and the reserved pasta in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Garnish with the toasted almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 439 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 515 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value), Iron (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1995