Curried Chicken & Pasta Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
This crowd-pleasing pasta salad is potluck-perfect for barbecue season.
- 12 ounces large whole-wheat pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, (1/2 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt, or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- Toast almonds in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Return the pan to the stovetop and add curry powder. Toast, stirring constantly, over low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney, turmeric, cinnamon and ground red pepper.
- Combine chicken, raisins, scallions, celery and the reserved pasta in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Garnish with the toasted almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 439 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 515 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value), Iron (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1995