Curried Chicken & Pasta Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
This crowd-pleasing pasta salad is potluck-perfect for barbecue season.
- 12 ounces large whole-wheat pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, (1/2 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt, or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- Toast almonds in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Return the pan to the stovetop and add curry powder. Toast, stirring constantly, over low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney, turmeric, cinnamon and ground red pepper.
- Combine chicken, raisins, scallions, celery and the reserved pasta in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Garnish with the toasted almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 439 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 515 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value), Iron (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)