Curried Chicken & Pasta Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
This crowd-pleasing pasta salad is potluck-perfect for barbecue season.
- 12 ounces large whole-wheat pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, (1/2 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt, or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- Toast almonds in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Return the pan to the stovetop and add curry powder. Toast, stirring constantly, over low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney, turmeric, cinnamon and ground red pepper.
- Combine chicken, raisins, scallions, celery and the reserved pasta in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Garnish with the toasted almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 439 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 515 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value), Iron (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1995