Curried Carrot & Apple Soup
From EatingWell: Fall 2002
This colorful soup is both simple and delicious. Use apples that cook up soft; McIntosh are great.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 2 large McIntosh or other apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (3 cups), peeled and coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt, for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, dill or basil for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or medium soup pot over medium heat. Stir in onion and celery; cook until the onion is softened and translucent, 8 to 12 minutes; do not brown.
- Stir in curry powder, then add carrots, apples and bay leaf. Stir well over medium heat for 2 minutes, then add broth and salt. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer until the carrots and apples are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the soup solids to a food processor, adding about 1/2 cup of the broth; process to a smooth puree. Pour the puree back into the soup. Reheat and season with pepper. Serve piping hot, garnishing each serving, if you like, with a dab of yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 90 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 188 mg sodium; 233 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Fall 2002