Curried Carrot & Apple Soup
From EatingWell: Fall 2002
This colorful soup is both simple and delicious. Use apples that cook up soft; McIntosh are great.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 2 large McIntosh or other apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (3 cups), peeled and coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt, for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, dill or basil for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or medium soup pot over medium heat. Stir in onion and celery; cook until the onion is softened and translucent, 8 to 12 minutes; do not brown.
- Stir in curry powder, then add carrots, apples and bay leaf. Stir well over medium heat for 2 minutes, then add broth and salt. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer until the carrots and apples are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the soup solids to a food processor, adding about 1/2 cup of the broth; process to a smooth puree. Pour the puree back into the soup. Reheat and season with pepper. Serve piping hot, garnishing each serving, if you like, with a dab of yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 90 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 188 mg sodium; 233 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Fall 2002
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)