Curried Butternut Squash Bisque
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
This exotic, spicy soup takes advantage of the affinity between butternut squash and curry. Pureed squash has a velvety texture, which means you can forgo using cream. We serve the soup with some nonfat yogurt for a tangy note. And if you're looking for more vitamin A in your diet, look no further: this soup gives you 200 percent of the daily recommendation.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in curry and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, cider, rice and squash; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the squash is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer set over a large bowl. Puree the solids in a food processor or blender until very smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the puree and liquid to the pot. Heat the soup gently and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, stir yogurt and milk in a small bowl. Ladle the soup into bowls and add a dollop of the yogurt mixture. Draw the tip of a knife or a toothpick through the yogurt to make decorative swirls.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 153 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 267 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (204% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992