Curried Butternut Squash Bisque
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
This exotic, spicy soup takes advantage of the affinity between butternut squash and curry. Pureed squash has a velvety texture, which means you can forgo using cream. We serve the soup with some nonfat yogurt for a tangy note. And if you're looking for more vitamin A in your diet, look no further: this soup gives you 200 percent of the daily recommendation.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in curry and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, cider, rice and squash; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the squash is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer set over a large bowl. Puree the solids in a food processor or blender until very smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the puree and liquid to the pot. Heat the soup gently and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, stir yogurt and milk in a small bowl. Ladle the soup into bowls and add a dollop of the yogurt mixture. Draw the tip of a knife or a toothpick through the yogurt to make decorative swirls.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 153 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 267 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (204% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992