Curried Burgers with Chutney Sauce
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Burgers are a backyard passion, but—dare we admit it?—sometimes the passion wears a little thin. But once the patties are spiked with curry powder and topped with a creamy chutney sauce, the old spark is back and everyone's happy at the table.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mango chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup stemmed watercress leaves
- To prepare sauce: Mix 2 tablespoons yogurt, mayonnaise, chutney and 1/2 teaspoon curry powder in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- To prepare burgers: Preheat grill to medium-high or preheat broiler.
- Combine pork, turkey, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons curry powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Grill or broil the patties until no longer pink inside and an instant-read thermometer reads at least 160°F, about 5 minutes per side. Serve the burgers on buns, topped with the sauce and watercress.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until a coarse crumb forms. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 385 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 283 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Folate (24% dv), Selenium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less