Curried Burgers with Chutney Sauce
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Burgers are a backyard passion, but—dare we admit it?—sometimes the passion wears a little thin. But once the patties are spiked with curry powder and topped with a creamy chutney sauce, the old spark is back and everyone's happy at the table.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mango chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup stemmed watercress leaves
- To prepare sauce: Mix 2 tablespoons yogurt, mayonnaise, chutney and 1/2 teaspoon curry powder in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- To prepare burgers: Preheat grill to medium-high or preheat broiler.
- Combine pork, turkey, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons curry powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Grill or broil the patties until no longer pink inside and an instant-read thermometer reads at least 160°F, about 5 minutes per side. Serve the burgers on buns, topped with the sauce and watercress.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until a coarse crumb forms. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 385 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 283 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Folate (24% dv), Selenium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less