Curried Beef Ambrosia
The addition of mangoes and raisins makes this curried beef pleasantly sweet. Serve over rice.
- 1 pound boneless blade steak, trimmed, cut into 1” cubes
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped dried or fresh pitted dates
- 4 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 1-inch cubes, juice reserved
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Place beef in a bowl, add red wine, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper and toss lightly. Cover and marinate for 3 to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and curry powder and sauté until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Drain the beef, reserving marinade. Add the beef to the pan and sauté until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, the leftover marinade and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add dates and cook for 5 minutes. Add mangoes, juice and raisins and cook for 15 minutes.
Per serving: 390 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% dv), Zinc (37% daily value), Selenium (35% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient