Curried Beef Ambrosia
The addition of mangoes and raisins makes this curried beef pleasantly sweet. Serve over rice.
- 1 pound boneless blade steak, trimmed, cut into 1” cubes
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped dried or fresh pitted dates
- 4 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 1-inch cubes, juice reserved
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Place beef in a bowl, add red wine, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper and toss lightly. Cover and marinate for 3 to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and curry powder and sauté until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Drain the beef, reserving marinade. Add the beef to the pan and sauté until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, the leftover marinade and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add dates and cook for 5 minutes. Add mangoes, juice and raisins and cook for 15 minutes.
Per serving: 390 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% dv), Zinc (37% daily value), Selenium (35% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour