Curried Beef Ambrosia
The addition of mangoes and raisins makes this curried beef pleasantly sweet. Serve over rice.
- 1 pound boneless blade steak, trimmed, cut into 1” cubes
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped dried or fresh pitted dates
- 4 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 1-inch cubes, juice reserved
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Place beef in a bowl, add red wine, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper and toss lightly. Cover and marinate for 3 to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and curry powder and sauté until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Drain the beef, reserving marinade. Add the beef to the pan and sauté until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, the leftover marinade and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add dates and cook for 5 minutes. Add mangoes, juice and raisins and cook for 15 minutes.
Per serving: 390 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% dv), Zinc (37% daily value), Selenium (35% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour