Curried Beef Ambrosia
The addition of mangoes and raisins makes this curried beef pleasantly sweet. Serve over rice.
- 1 pound boneless blade steak, trimmed, cut into 1” cubes
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped dried or fresh pitted dates
- 4 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 1-inch cubes, juice reserved
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Place beef in a bowl, add red wine, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper and toss lightly. Cover and marinate for 3 to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and curry powder and sauté until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Drain the beef, reserving marinade. Add the beef to the pan and sauté until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, the leftover marinade and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add dates and cook for 5 minutes. Add mangoes, juice and raisins and cook for 15 minutes.
Per serving: 390 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% dv), Zinc (37% daily value), Selenium (35% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat