Save your favorite jam for these teatime treats.
- 2 cups all-purpose
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl. Stir together buttermilk, currants and oil in another bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the buttermilk mixture.
- Pat or roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, into a round about 1/2 inch thick. With a long knife, cut the round into 12 wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Per serving: 131 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 70 mg sodium; 87 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation