Save your favorite jam for these teatime treats.
- 2 cups all-purpose
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl. Stir together buttermilk, currants and oil in another bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the buttermilk mixture.
- Pat or roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, into a round about 1/2 inch thick. With a long knife, cut the round into 12 wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Per serving: 131 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 70 mg sodium; 87 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more