Save your favorite jam for these teatime treats.
- 2 cups all-purpose
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl. Stir together buttermilk, currants and oil in another bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the buttermilk mixture.
- Pat or roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, into a round about 1/2 inch thick. With a long knife, cut the round into 12 wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Per serving: 131 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 70 mg sodium; 87 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique