From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
A refreshing accompaniment to a main course of meat or fish, this cucumber-yogurt salad also makes a tasty filling for pita bread. If the cucumbers are grated instead of chopped, this mixture can be served as a dip.
- 4 large cucumbers, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut cucumbers in half and seed. Cut each cucumber boat in half lengthwise and then halve each quarter. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces. Place in bowl, sprinkle salt on top, toss and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, and parsley (or mint) in a medium bowl. Stir in the oil briskly.
- Drain the cucumbers, return them to the bowl, pour the yogurt mixture over and toss well.
Per serving: 146 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 687 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Calcium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 low-fat milk
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Charter Issue, 1990