From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
A refreshing accompaniment to a main course of meat or fish, this cucumber-yogurt salad also makes a tasty filling for pita bread. If the cucumbers are grated instead of chopped, this mixture can be served as a dip.
- 4 large cucumbers, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut cucumbers in half and seed. Cut each cucumber boat in half lengthwise and then halve each quarter. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces. Place in bowl, sprinkle salt on top, toss and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, and parsley (or mint) in a medium bowl. Stir in the oil briskly.
- Drain the cucumbers, return them to the bowl, pour the yogurt mixture over and toss well.
Per serving: 146 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 687 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Calcium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 low-fat milk
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Charter Issue, 1990