From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
A refreshing accompaniment to a main course of meat or fish, this cucumber-yogurt salad also makes a tasty filling for pita bread. If the cucumbers are grated instead of chopped, this mixture can be served as a dip.
- 4 large cucumbers, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut cucumbers in half and seed. Cut each cucumber boat in half lengthwise and then halve each quarter. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces. Place in bowl, sprinkle salt on top, toss and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, and parsley (or mint) in a medium bowl. Stir in the oil briskly.
- Drain the cucumbers, return them to the bowl, pour the yogurt mixture over and toss well.
Per serving: 146 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 687 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Calcium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 low-fat milk
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Charter Issue, 1990