Persian Cucumber & Tomato Salad with Preserved Lemon
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this cucumber and tomato salad recipe, preserved lemon adds a tangy, salty bite. Serve this healthy salad as an accompaniment to dishes like grilled lamb or chicken or as a side on a bed of finely julienned purple kale, lightly dressed with more olive oil and lemon juice. Look for preserved lemons at specialty-foods stores. Or, to make your own, see our Preserved Lemons recipe on eatingwell.com.
- 3 cups diced unpeeled small cucumbers, preferably Persian (see Tip) or “mini”
- 1 1/2 cups assorted cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons minced preserved lemon or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, parsley, mint, preserved lemon (or zest), lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl. Let stand for at least 10 minutes (and up to 2 hours) for the flavors to meld.
- Add oil and toss to coat. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Persian cucumbers are nearly seedless and are thin-skinned enough to be served unpeeled. They’re usually 5 to 6 inches long and can be used interchangeably with the similar but larger English cucumber.
Per serving: 91 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2014