Persian Cucumber & Tomato Salad with Preserved Lemon
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this cucumber and tomato salad recipe, preserved lemon adds a tangy, salty bite. Serve this healthy salad as an accompaniment to dishes like grilled lamb or chicken or as a side on a bed of finely julienned purple kale, lightly dressed with more olive oil and lemon juice. Look for preserved lemons at specialty-foods stores. Or, to make your own, see our Preserved Lemons recipe on eatingwell.com.
- 3 cups diced unpeeled small cucumbers, preferably Persian (see Tip) or “mini”
- 1 1/2 cups assorted cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons minced preserved lemon or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, parsley, mint, preserved lemon (or zest), lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl. Let stand for at least 10 minutes (and up to 2 hours) for the flavors to meld.
- Add oil and toss to coat. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Persian cucumbers are nearly seedless and are thin-skinned enough to be served unpeeled. They’re usually 5 to 6 inches long and can be used interchangeably with the similar but larger English cucumber.
Per serving: 91 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2014