Persian Cucumber & Tomato Salad with Preserved Lemon
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this cucumber and tomato salad recipe, preserved lemon adds a tangy, salty bite. Serve this healthy salad as an accompaniment to dishes like grilled lamb or chicken or as a side on a bed of finely julienned purple kale, lightly dressed with more olive oil and lemon juice. Look for preserved lemons at specialty-foods stores. Or, to make your own, see our Preserved Lemons recipe on eatingwell.com.
- 3 cups diced unpeeled small cucumbers, preferably Persian (see Tip) or “mini”
- 1 1/2 cups assorted cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons minced preserved lemon or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, parsley, mint, preserved lemon (or zest), lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl. Let stand for at least 10 minutes (and up to 2 hours) for the flavors to meld.
- Add oil and toss to coat. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Persian cucumbers are nearly seedless and are thin-skinned enough to be served unpeeled. They’re usually 5 to 6 inches long and can be used interchangeably with the similar but larger English cucumber.
Per serving: 91 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2014