Persian Cucumber & Tomato Salad with Preserved Lemon
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this cucumber and tomato salad recipe, preserved lemon adds a tangy, salty bite. Serve this healthy salad as an accompaniment to dishes like grilled lamb or chicken or as a side on a bed of finely julienned purple kale, lightly dressed with more olive oil and lemon juice. Look for preserved lemons at specialty-foods stores. Or, to make your own, see our Preserved Lemons recipe on eatingwell.com.
- 3 cups diced unpeeled small cucumbers, preferably Persian (see Tip) or “mini”
- 1 1/2 cups assorted cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons minced preserved lemon or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, parsley, mint, preserved lemon (or zest), lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl. Let stand for at least 10 minutes (and up to 2 hours) for the flavors to meld.
- Add oil and toss to coat. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Persian cucumbers are nearly seedless and are thin-skinned enough to be served unpeeled. They’re usually 5 to 6 inches long and can be used interchangeably with the similar but larger English cucumber.
Per serving: 91 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2014