From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Spicy and tangy, this cucumber and onion mixture is a refreshing accompaniment to grilled meats.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 3/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small red onion, slivered
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Use a vegetable peeler to pare 4 lengthwise strips from each cucumber. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds with a small spoon and cut into thin diagonal slices.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and water in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add cucumbers, onions, bell pepper, shallot and crushed red pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain vinegar from the vegetables and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
Per tablespoon: 9 calories; 0 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994