From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Spicy and tangy, this cucumber and onion mixture is a refreshing accompaniment to grilled meats.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 3/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small red onion, slivered
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Use a vegetable peeler to pare 4 lengthwise strips from each cucumber. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds with a small spoon and cut into thin diagonal slices.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and water in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add cucumbers, onions, bell pepper, shallot and crushed red pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain vinegar from the vegetables and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
Per tablespoon: 9 calories; 0 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994