From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Spicy and tangy, this cucumber and onion mixture is a refreshing accompaniment to grilled meats.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 3/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small red onion, slivered
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Use a vegetable peeler to pare 4 lengthwise strips from each cucumber. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds with a small spoon and cut into thin diagonal slices.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and water in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add cucumbers, onions, bell pepper, shallot and crushed red pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain vinegar from the vegetables and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
Per tablespoon: 9 calories; 0 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994