From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Spicy and tangy, this cucumber and onion mixture is a refreshing accompaniment to grilled meats.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 3/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small red onion, slivered
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Use a vegetable peeler to pare 4 lengthwise strips from each cucumber. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds with a small spoon and cut into thin diagonal slices.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and water in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add cucumbers, onions, bell pepper, shallot and crushed red pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain vinegar from the vegetables and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
Per tablespoon: 9 calories; 0 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994