Cucumber Salad (Tzatziki)
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This garlicky cucumber-yogurt salad is delicious served with grilled lamb or as a dip for toasted pita chips.
- 1 large or 2 small cucumbers, peeled, halved and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or 2 teaspoons dried
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Coarsely shred cucumber and gently squeeze by hand to remove excess liquid. Place the garlic on a cutting board, chop coarsely and sprinkle with salt. Work the salted garlic into a paste with the flat side of a chef’s knife
- Whisk together the garlic paste, yogurt and mint in a medium bowl. Stir in shredded cucumber. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 169 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993