Cucumber Salad (Tzatziki)
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This garlicky cucumber-yogurt salad is delicious served with grilled lamb or as a dip for toasted pita chips.
- 1 large or 2 small cucumbers, peeled, halved and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or 2 teaspoons dried
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Coarsely shred cucumber and gently squeeze by hand to remove excess liquid. Place the garlic on a cutting board, chop coarsely and sprinkle with salt. Work the salted garlic into a paste with the flat side of a chef’s knife
- Whisk together the garlic paste, yogurt and mint in a medium bowl. Stir in shredded cucumber. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 169 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993