Persian Cucumber Salad with Lentils & Sprouts
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Quick-pickling adds bright flavor to this cucumber and lentil salad recipe, perfect for a simple lunch or as part of a larger meal. We like French green lentils for this salad because they hold their shape well when cooked. Look for them in natural-foods stores and well-stocked supermarkets.
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 dried hot chile, such as red Thai or chile de arbol, torn
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 2 cups halved and sliced unpeeled small cucumbers, preferably Persian or “mini”
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- A few sprigs fresh dill
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked French green lentils
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, dill and cilantro
- 1/2 cup microgreens or mixed sprouts
- Combine vinegar, water, chile, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and dill seed in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Place cucumbers and raisins in a shallow bowl or glass dish along with dill sprigs. Carefully pour on the hot liquid. Refrigerate, stirring once or twice, for 20 minutes. Strain (reserving the pickling liquid); discard the chile and dill sprigs. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the liquid to a large bowl. (Reserve the remaining pickling liquid to pickle more vegetables or to use in a salad dressing, if desired.)
- Whisk the 2 tablespoons pickling liquid with yogurt, oil, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the cucumber mixture, lentils, feta, radishes, scallions and herbs; gently toss to combine. Garnish with microgreens (or sprouts).
Per serving: 179 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 348 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- May/June 2014