Crusty Herbed Chicken
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
A crunchy crust of crumbs and minced herbs seals in the natural juices.
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, cracked (see Tip)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 cups fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs, toasted (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup minced fresh herbs, (approximately 6 tablespoons chopped scallions or chives, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 1 tablespoon sage)
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove half the rind from the lemon and cut it into strips. Juice the lemon. Combine lemon rind, juice, oil, pepper and garlic, and place the mixture in a large plastic bag. Shake to blend seasonings. Add chicken, squeeze out excess air, seal and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours, or until cooking time.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine crumbs and herbs in a large, shallow dish. Remove chicken from the marinade, brush off lemon rind and peppercorns, and roll each piece in the crumb mixture. Coat each piece as thickly and evenly as possible.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the chicken, turning every 10 to 15 minutes, until juices run clear, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To crack peppercorns: Place whole spices in a plastic bag and crush with the bottom of a heavy skillet or pulse in a spice grinder.
- To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
- To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 329 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 103 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 211 mg sodium; 374 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Zinc (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Charter Issue, 1990