Crusty Herbed Chicken
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
A crunchy crust of crumbs and minced herbs seals in the natural juices.
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, cracked (see Tip)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 cups fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs, toasted (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup minced fresh herbs, (approximately 6 tablespoons chopped scallions or chives, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 1 tablespoon sage)
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove half the rind from the lemon and cut it into strips. Juice the lemon. Combine lemon rind, juice, oil, pepper and garlic, and place the mixture in a large plastic bag. Shake to blend seasonings. Add chicken, squeeze out excess air, seal and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours, or until cooking time.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine crumbs and herbs in a large, shallow dish. Remove chicken from the marinade, brush off lemon rind and peppercorns, and roll each piece in the crumb mixture. Coat each piece as thickly and evenly as possible.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the chicken, turning every 10 to 15 minutes, until juices run clear, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To crack peppercorns: Place whole spices in a plastic bag and crush with the bottom of a heavy skillet or pulse in a spice grinder.
- To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
- To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 329 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 103 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 211 mg sodium; 374 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Zinc (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Charter Issue, 1990