Crust for Two
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Makes just enough for a two-person tart.
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Sources)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 chunks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, or walnut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons cold water
- Mix whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or fork until it is smaller than peas. Stir in oil and vinegar. Mix in enough water so the dough is evenly moist and a little crumbly but not wet. Gather the dough into a ball, then pat it into a disk.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes before rolling.
- White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour.
- Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Sources include King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com, and Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, www.bobsredmill.com.
Per serving: 227 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006