Crust for Two
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Makes just enough for a two-person tart.
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Sources)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 chunks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, or walnut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons cold water
- Mix whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or fork until it is smaller than peas. Stir in oil and vinegar. Mix in enough water so the dough is evenly moist and a little crumbly but not wet. Gather the dough into a ball, then pat it into a disk.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes before rolling.
- White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour.
- Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Sources include King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com, and Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, www.bobsredmill.com.
Per serving: 227 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006