Crust for Two
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Makes just enough for a two-person tart.
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Sources)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 chunks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, or walnut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons cold water
- Mix whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or fork until it is smaller than peas. Stir in oil and vinegar. Mix in enough water so the dough is evenly moist and a little crumbly but not wet. Gather the dough into a ball, then pat it into a disk.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes before rolling.
- White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour.
- Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Sources include King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com, and Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, www.bobsredmill.com.
Per serving: 227 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006