Crust for Two
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Makes just enough for a two-person tart.
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Sources)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 chunks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, or walnut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons cold water
- Mix whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or fork until it is smaller than peas. Stir in oil and vinegar. Mix in enough water so the dough is evenly moist and a little crumbly but not wet. Gather the dough into a ball, then pat it into a disk.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes before rolling.
- White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour.
- Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Sources include King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836, www.bakerscatalogue.com, and Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, www.bobsredmill.com.
Per serving: 227 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006